The suggestion to find lighter substitutes for some of my fave foods is a good one, but my main issue is that I can't seem to stop at just one [cookie/slice of cake/ice cream cone/slice of bread/slice of pizza/etc...]. Once I eat one, I gotta have all of it. Till it's out of sight. That's what's been getting me each time. I purposely purchase somewhat sensible snacks (that are like 100~145 calories a serving), but then I end up eating the entire package! Which totally defeats the purpose of buying low calorie in the first place!
I think I've learned my lesson, though. I just need to put it into action. The lesson is this: Only buy what you're okay with eating in one sitting. I just should not buy anything in bulk. Or anything that comes with more than one or two servings. Therefore, if I'm going to eat pastries, I should only buy what I want to put into my mouth that day. I should not buy in bulk in order to eat the cookies at another time. It just doesn't work for me that way. Or do I need to just avoid these foods altogether??? AHHH.....
Today, for instance, I started out nicely (as I always do). Here's what I ate today:
Breakfast: Slim Fast (Chocolate Royale) shake + coffee with cream
Morning "Snack": coffee with cream
Lunch: omelet I made last night + 1/2 grapefruit
And when I got home is when it spiraled out of control.
Afternoon Snack: pastry (1/2 serving)
Dinner: tuna rice porridge
Dessert: a gazillion servings of the pastries =(
I did leave four pastries untouched. And I worked out (4 miles), but I doubt that the exercise really did effectively burn any calories. It basically helped me to digest all the pastries I ate. I feel so guilty. And bloated. And hungry. And just disappointed in myself. But I gotta keep on keepin' on. Cause giving up is not an option.

I have this problem too. I can't just stop with one. Also I figured out that in the afternoons is when I'm most tired and I'll give in to practically anything. So I'm avoiding carbs in the afternoon, if I'm going to have a carb I'll eat in the morning or a little after lunch because I still have time to work it off. Also as they say " out of sight out of mind" if the pastry aren't there you won't have the temptation. If you want one buy one while your out and about. I find that if it's in your home it's much easier to cave in. Hope this helped. It's not easy but it worth it. It's just a matter of not letting the temptation control you but you controlling what happens to you. You've got this! :-)
ReplyDeleteRead my post from this morning, yesterday was hard for us all! Hang in there.
ReplyDeleteThis is totally how I am. There are so many different schools of thought in the weight-loss community regarding this. Some people think "well I don't want to deprive myself completely, so I'll have one cookie after dinner" and others think "even one cookie will trigger a binge so I best not eat any". There are many others but I'll just focus on these two schools of thought for the purpose of my comment ;)
ReplyDeleteI definitely fall into the latter group. I think people who gained weight gradually and don't consider themselves binge eaters probably can honestly only have one cookie as a treat. However, and I never like to use absolutist statements, but I find it very hard to believe that people who suffer from honest to God binge-eating disorder (which I believe I do) can ever stop at just one.
Sugar/carbs are my triggers. If I have so much as a bite of bread or cookie, as soon as it hits my bloodstream, I am 'gone' and will continue eating any carby/sugary item until there is no more and I have had a full-fledged binge. This is why I try to abstain completely. Obviously, this isn't always the case as I am still overweight, lol, but I take at least some small comfort in the fact that I recognize that I have to be an all-or-nothing girl. There is no "just one" with me so I don't even purposely attempt it. Like I said, I still have occasional binges but they don't occur because I try to fool myself into thinking I am only going to have a small portion of my trigger foods, they occur for other reasons, unfortunately.
Whew! Sorry for the novel, lol. Your post got me thinking!
I totally "binge" too. Not super good, but I don't do "other drugs" so have to put it in perspective. However, I have noticed that when I eat a ton of raw food that I will stop eating at some point, and it won't be a box of donuts. Have you ever tried easy "raw desserts" that are full of fiber, fruits, and even stuff like avocados?? When you stuff yourself with fruits and low glycemic yum yums like stevia, you might still eat the same amount of calories but they may not all be absorbed. Plus you are getting a ton of fiber and nutrients. I kind of accidentally let most all flour get out of my life, in addition to gluten, and all animal products. My fave junk food now are raw desserts made with coconuts, carob, raw cacao, bananas, nuts, etc.....They are better than the "regular" versions and they really aren't "bad" for you. Just wondering if you started to transition to more of those types of foods without counting calories at all, if you might start eating less bad binge food. Alisa Cohen's first book has a ton of stories about people who have lost weight and overcome food addictions that way. Plus there is Angela Stokes who really changed the way she ate. I think Alisa's way is more doable though, by eating as much as you want, when you want, of raw foods.......
ReplyDeleteGirl, ditch the nasty Slim Fast!!! Make your own smoothies with bananas, almonds, hemps, agave. Whatever. Green powders!!
ReplyDeleteFresh foods!!
Check out my blog for a pic of the smoothie I make all the time. It's a green smoothie.. you can modify it, but I make mine with a banana, an orange, a handful of spinach (which you can't even taste!), 1/3 cup of yogurt (vanilla or fruit flavor) and a cup of ice. Trust me, its sooo good!
ReplyDeleteI find that the easiest way to not go overboard is to...*sigh*...just don't have it in your house. If that's too tough, you could always FREEZE portions in the freezer. They'll have to thaw so you will either have to wait (therefore, giving you some time to seriously think about whether or not you want to eat it) or you'll forget they're even in the freezer. :)
ReplyDeleteThe thing I do with awesome treats that I'm gonna wanna eat the whole thing of... is I buy one or two treats, but small ones. Cos I just KNOW that if there's more, I'll eat it. If it doesn't bother you, eat a serving, and then throw the rest out. That might help.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Chubby McGee about the freezer. That's where we keep Girl Scout Cookies and other items that are a little dangerous.
ReplyDeleteBut more than anything, I suggest thinking about WHY you want to eat the entire package of whatever food. That has helped me tremendously. It will help you to understand why you're doing it and be able to take control. When I eat everything in sight, it's because some emotion is taking over or I am stressed out about something.
Looking forward to following your blog!