About Me

My photo
I am a 20-something year old woman who's hoping to reap something positive from honest blogging. I intend to fully live--that is, live an un-apologetically pleasure-filled life, while remaining principled and trying to keep in mind what God desires for me.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Gracias!

Thanks for the awesome suggestions. All of them were really good ones.

These are the suggestions that particularly stuck with me (I'm trying to organize/paraphrase them for myself.):

1. Out of sight, out of mind. (Translation: Just don't buy the junk in the first place!)
2. (Same school of thought): Just avoid the trigger food altogether. End of story.
3. Buy 'em but freeze the rest so you can't get to 'em right away (and therefore have time to talk yourself out of the pending binge)! Or throw the rest out. (<--- Uh, I don't think I'd ever be able to just throw out the food! Perhaps giving the food away would feel a bit better.)
4. Eat the foods you love, but make them healthier (and actually good for you) by using fresh ingredients from nature. (This emphasizes mind/body connection more.)
5. Think about WHAT IT IS EXACTLY that makes you binge in the first place.

Honestly..... I feel conflicted. I do somewhat agree with 1 and 2. Perhaps I should not have the food around in the first place. It makes sense--if it isn't available for me to have, then I can't and won't have it. However--I don't wanna give up the stuff I like. I mean, I know food isn't everything in life (and I should eat to live, not live to eat), but isn't it okay to look forward to eating something or giving yourself a sweet treat (ONCE IN A WHILE)? Yes, I know I have trouble with the "once in a while" part. There have been too many "onces in a while." But I really don't wanna deprive myself of the stuff I like to eat. I wanna work towards a place in my life where I can eat things in moderation and be flexible. Of course I should try to avoid buying junk food in the first place. I totally agree with that. But I still wanna be able to eat the cake and cookies. And not binge.

This brings me to the suggestion to really think about WHY I wanna eat all this stuff in the first place. At first, my answer was simple: "Uhhh, cause it tastes fuh-reaking good?! Duh! Let's not get too unnecessarily "deep" here!" But I thought about it again, with a bit more sincerity, and I do recognize that I eat more when I feel lonely or bored. It's my source of pleasure and comfort. Oh, and did I mention that it tastes good? *Sigh* I know I need to find a better source of satisfaction.

The freezing idea is a pretty good one, too. I'm gonna have to resort to that whenever/if I ever buy anything in bulk again. Hopefully I won't cave to the urge to buy the multiple serving stuff in the first place, though. Regardless of how much of a better deal it is (for the wallet). Cause I need to do whatever I can AT THE MOMENT. And at the moment, I can't give up these foods for good.

I also really like the idea of making a healthier version of these foods from scratch. However, I am currently outside of the States, and I don't have access to a lot of the ingredients that would widely be available there. Does anyone know of any recipes that are simple (meaning, not too many ingredients needed + easy, piece-a-cake steps involved)? Ah, and there's another catch--I also do not have access to an oven or toaster oven. I only have the stove and microwave. So--does anyone know of any simple recipes for low-calorie "baked goods" that I can make with as few and widely available ingredients as possible and cook IN THE MICROWAVE??? Any links or recipes or ideas would be so appreciated. :)

Whew!

Anyway, I did much better today than yesterday. Don't have time to get into all the specifics, but worked out (6 miles). I can do this. I will do this. I gotta make this happen for myself.

5 comments:

  1. If you worked out equivalent to 6 miles I would say you kicked some ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm new to your blog but I so empathise with all of this. I am a binger at times. I know I eat out of boredom and I am very much an emotional eater. I just need to get on top of this on the tough weeks (ie this week has been one of them) so I know where you are coming from completely. And I totally believe that the only way we will ever win is to be brutally honest with ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand you not wanting to cut the stuff out entirely. However, I would suggest that you turn to different types of sweet treats. FRUITS ! I know it's certainly not what we wanna hear lol, but when you can't stop at just one cookie, well then, don't have the cookie ! If you have a hard time sticking to one thing of those sugary stuff, then don't have it altogether.

    At the time that I was dealing with the same issue, I bought carrots, bananas, apples... any of those naturally sweet things. Of course at first it doesn't feel like it's replacing the extra sugar you get from the cookies or cake, but it helps train your body to be satisfied with this new found sweetness.

    Over time, once you conquer your inability to have just one cookie, then you can allow yourself to have such things around.

    The other day, people were eating this creamy double chocolate cake and I decided to taste it (too tempting !). It turned out that the cake was too sweet for me. WHAAAAAT ??? Yes, I found it TOO sweet. Never thought I'd see the day ! I was so disgusted with it that I didn't finish that little piece. It's all matter of training your taste buds... and that requires sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One trick I have found that works for sweet cravings is peppermint gum or brushing your teeth. It removes sweet cravings. Sometimes before I go shopping I put a stick of peppermint gum in my mouth, I don't crave the sweets as much then. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great suggestions. I don't have my trigger foods in the house anymore. If I'm going to have them it's planned and I only buy small portions of them so I can't go crazy. Example. Pizza. I now order once in a while and it's only 1 medium between me and the hubby (or if i was by myself one individual) Once it's gone, it's gone. If I do baking we have some that day/night and I send the rest to work with hubby so I'm not tempted. You just need to experiment and find what works best for you. Also I suggest reading something like Crazy Sexy Diet that explains what all this processed "tasty" food does to us. It may help you to want to stay further away from it.

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete