Well, I finally have the place to myself, so l have the "freedom" to spend as much time as I want updating!
Today was..... not a very "successful" day on the food front. I started out all right, as I most often do, but it was in the evening that I kinda (almost totally) lost my grip. The teachers went out for dinner, and although I had the urge to back out so that I could have complete control over my caloric intake and work out with leisure (and just plain relax, as this week was entirely exhausting), I resisted this urge and felt that I owed it to my coworkers to join them. They've been inviting me to all these outings that of course involve food, and I've been turning down their invites because (A) I didn't wanna feel bloated after pigging out, (B) I didn't feel like eating much anyway, and whenever I don't eat, they comment about that too, and (C) I really wanted to have complete control over what I put in my mouth. I didn't tell them that I'm trying to lose weight, and maybe I should tell them so that they don't get the wrong idea, but I have mixed feelings about that, so I'll save that topic for another time.
It is (thank GOODNESS) a Friday night! So yes, I felt I could relax a bit. And yes, I joined them for dinner this time. And ahem, yes, there was a bit of alcohol involved. I think I was okay with the food. I stayed pretty on target, avoiding unnecessary carbs and empty calories. It was the alcohol. I didn't have too much of it, mind you, but I think the alcohol affected my judgment and SENSE, and you'll see why.
After the completely harmless dinner, I felt I needed something. Not that I was hungry. I just felt so anxious. Perhaps it was all the social interaction involved. I met a couple new faces and had to speak to people I hadn't spoken to one-on-one before. I don't know what it was that provoked me to do this; nevertheless, I just felt like I had to release this anxiety that had been building within me. As I was walking home, lo and behold, what else appears before my very eyes but a favorite bakery of mine? Without any thought or hesitation whatsoever, I opened the door and walked inside the bakery. Once I opened that door, I knew I had made the decision to buy something that would NOT BE GOOD FOR ME. I ended up buying one mini cream puff, which is harmless. I also ended up buying a box of -- you name it -- one of my trigger foods -- COOKIES. Assorted variety. I gobbled up the cream puff. I gobbled up one cookie. I bit into another one. This happened before I even got home.
When I did get home, I ate another. And another..... Um, I ate a total of 8 cookies! There were 10 in the box, so 8 out of 10 cookies I had in one sitting! Each cookie was about an average of 120~125 calories. Multiply that by 8! That is a little less than another day's worth of extra calories that I took in! When I got home, I was so tired. And obviously still in binge mode. After eating, I just wanted to pass out on my bed without even changing or washing up.
HOWEVER (and this is a big "however"), I resisted this urge to just "give up for the day," and I actually worked out. I felt much better after doing so, I should add, although this is certainly not shocking news. I then proceeded to wash up, change, track my fitness for the day, and I am even managing to update here! So today is not a complete failure. There's still hope. I ate senselessly today, but one day doesn't mess up overall progress. I'll be weighing myself this Sunday. We'll see how far I've come.
I tell myself once more, "No one gains 10 pounds overnight. So don't stress too much about the cookies." Now perhaps a movie and bed! Or even better, a movie IN bed!

"I resisted this urge to just 'give up for the day....'"
ReplyDeleteAs long as you keep that mentality, you're on the right path. And, honestly, I don't see there being anything wrong with enjoying one or two cookies...as long as you do what you're doing: not giving up. :)
Well good job working out after that. That means you're still looking out for you and still in the game.
ReplyDeleteI see things all the time that make me want to stop and eat. I am so tempted whenever I go grocery shopping, but I literally have to walk faster thru some aisles or talk myself out of something. Like, "ok don't even look at that, you don't need it" or "just say no! keep walking" lol Make sure you keep your house a no-junk food zone. You can't eat whats not there. Speed walk past that bakery next time ;)